Simple and delicious; red wine hot chocolate is the perfect winter treat. Whether you are a wine or chocolate lover, you will be obsessed with this drink after your first sip!
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart (4 cups) whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups fruity red wine, such as Merlot, Shiraz, or Zinfandel
- Cinnamon sticks and additional cocoa powder, for serving (optional)
1. Whisk the chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, and cinnamon together in a large saucepan.
2. Add the milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until hot and smooth, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the salt.
4. Remove from the heat and add the wine.
5. Divide among 8 small glasses or mugs, garnish with a cinnamon stick and a dusting of cocoa powder, if desired, and serve.